Sunday, July 4, 2010

Painting the Grand Canyon

Still painting the canyon. I have so many photos...still feel there is so much painting to do. I have started more, as the example in the first photo.

We have set down temperary roots in Tubac, AZ. Desert life I have found very peaceful and healing. Taking advantage of some down time with good friends to get some painting done. I feel I need to do more canyon views, painted desert teepees, and the petrified forest. The goal is to paint every day.

I have titled this painting (16X20 gallery wrapped canvas) Brighty's View. This is near the head of the Bright Angel Trail. I imagine this was a view familiar to Brighty the mule in the book,"Brighty of the Grand Canyon" by Marguerite Henry. I have wanted to see the Grand Canyon since I read the book in second grade.

The next 2 paintings (each 12 x 12 square gallery wrapped canvases to be hung side by side) are titled Cousins at The Canyon. These paintings were hard for me emotionally but I am pleased with the results. While my cousin Nance, in a hospital in Florida, talked to me on the phone, that her sister Jenny held for her, I promised the sisters each a painting of the canyon. Nance never recovered from the stroke but I wanted to do the paintings anyway. Jenny's painting the first one to be hung on the left side contains she and I waving...not easy to spot but we are there. The second painting to be placed on the right has an angel Nance in the clouds above the canyon. The two paintings join together with the Bright Angel Trail area centered between them.

The photos are different sizes but the canvases are the same size and are meant to be hung so that the horizon line is even, the last photo shows this .