Friday, August 6, 2010

Exploring the Local History


Tumacacori held some surprises for the explorers. Of course I have even more that I want to paint now. But the adobe block buildings with exposed rafters and cracked plaster was spellbinding. As one wanders through the ruins one slips back into the past...





The heat requires that we travel out early. Tumacacori is a National Park that contains one of the oldest Spanish Missions. Of course there was a museum and bookstore. One good for history and the other for water! We learned of Father Kino and other Jesuits, and later Franciscan Missionaries.
I plan to return since the mission is located so close to Tubac where we are staying. I want to paint plein air here, but it is already too late and very hot. Besides I can review all of my photos and decide what to actually paint on location.
My next entry will be the surprise I found when I reviewed my photos. You won't believe it....
( To learn more about the history and the park visit nps.gov and on the map pick Arizona, go to the southern border and click on Tumacacori.)

OR::::http://www.nps.gov/tuma/historyculture/tumacacori.htm