I have started journal sketchbooks for each of my grannie-kids. Actually each one was started after each one was born. Therefore I refer to them as the Maddie Chronicles, Gavin Chronicles, and last but not least Alex's. I write day to day stuff but mostly things I want them to know, life lessons, that I might not be here to share with them. Also family history that might not get passed on unless I get it written down. And of course stuff about their daddy.
The above picture is on 2 pages of the Gavin Chronicles. The Grand Canyon in crayon! I have painted and loved it, but using crayon was a pure joy. It was like getting back to basics. Basic 10 colors, basic shapes results in basic joy.
Two more crayon renderings of the canyon. very near pastel but not as blend-able, perfect for in a book format.
The last page is one that I did during the lunar eclipse on the winter solstice. Here, out in the Georgia fields near Thomasville, no city lights, lots of stars and that gorgeous full moon working its way across the sky. I just colored each phase as it progressed. So much fun! That is the beauty of crayons!
When was the last time you colored with crayons. Try it...