No not as in outer space but as in not enough work space in my horizontal condo/studio on wheels.
Well, now that we are stuck in not so warm Florida I want to paint and the picnic table and plein aire does not seem very appealing. I mean they keep talking about the Ps on the weather...people, pets, plants and pipes....oops they need to add plein air painters...take care of us all!
So to ease my frustrations I enlisted Jon to help me come up with a solution. I had a plan that he felt wasn't feasable but after several days of mentioning he started to participate in the planning and measuring. We hardly use the dinette booth in the kitchen area...only a 2 seater but if I have a 6 foot surface 2 feet deep with a fold down surface of another foot curved like a round table leaf...walla 6 foot by 3 foot work surface, aka studio space. We can still use the dinette seats for storage and a hidey spot for our cat, Tiger. We won't be able to see it all because my work station will be on top. Sounds like a deal to me. Now just the making of it to be a done deal!
You may wonder what all the fuss is about and I pondered on that also.
While at lunch with three other artist friends we were all intrigued by the details of Julie's Christmas gift from a thoughtful husband. He had given her a top of the line nicely crafted wood work station, that when all of the drawers and doors were closed, was a handsome piece of furniture. Now this was important because she paints in their dining room. Now it should be mentioned that he did not want to share his garage so the fancy work station made both of them very happy. We all participated in the excitement of where the paper towels, brushes and etc could go.
Now to anyone who is not an artist it may seem strange, but we artists have also been known to carry on about brushes, easels, canvases and such as if they were rare diamonds. The tools of the trade so to speak. But I do believe it is all part of our creative process...the almost art part. When I was in college I would stretch and prep canvases, it gave me the feeling of being near, or almost ready to create art. When I am stymied I'll go to the closest art museum and stand in front of a Vangogh or Monet. The almost ready to create, the nearness of art is an essential to our art.
So given the space I'll be near, or at least almost there.....ART