We did go...and boy what a long strange trip it has been!
We eased into the great unknown via familiar Interstate 75 and jumped in somewhere off a beaten path around Americus, Georgia. First stop Andersonville POW Museum and National Cemetery.
I had playing in my mind a painting to paint on location. I found upon arrival that the hollowed ground effect enveloped me. I just stumbled around in wide eyed wonder and respect. I found it very overwhelming and disturbing. All the pain and suffering and all of my old dormant hidden hippie tendencies flared up. All the graves that go on in neat long rows trying to make a horrible war wrapped up neatly to haunt our country for generations. I could not attempt to paint even tho it was a beautiful sunny early spring day I could not create.
The museum is very well done covering not only the Civil War but all POW situations including Korea, Vietnam and all scenarios between and up to present time...and commands the sadness and the needed respect we owe these prisoners. Beautiful sculptures and state memorials throughout the museum and the cemetery create a strange place, not only filled with pain and sadness but with peace and beauty.
Time heals and hopefully we are the wiser with each reminder. And therefore lies the reason for visiting. Jon and I during our winter over in Florida got to catch up on some reading we have been attempting and it included a book, "Don't Know Much About the Civil War" by Kenneth C. Davis. Very interestingly written and therefore inspiring us to visit historical sites mentioned.
The reminder that I received, and making me feel wiser, is that if this wonderful country of ours, so deeply loved by many, can survive an event as horrible as the Civil War a recession is next to nothing. It also brings to mind that we should not let individual rights of states or political parties destroy us. Sometimes we need to be still and listen to the voices of those who try to lead and ignore those who try to divide us. Stop amongst the rows of markers in the hollowed grounds of our past and, out of respect for those that lie here, do better.
Our next stop was Plains, Georgia hometown of our 39th President, Jimmy Carter. Small town USA for sure! The National Parks Service maintains the High School as a museum of the former Presidents beginnings to recent accomplishments.
I was fine driving by but Jon reminded me that I want to see it all so...
We found ourselves seated in the auditorium not only experiencing a documentary film on President Carter but also a flash into our pasts. The scene created by center front stage, wooden floors, and wood flip seats took me back to assemblies at Grace E. Hunt School in Mt. Healthy, Ohio and Jon to High School in Madison, Florida.
Now I know this was a major contrast from Andersonville but there are still lessons here. Perhaps it is that any small town can be the home of the next President? Or anyone can be President? I hope there are still teachers saying, "Study good one of you might be the next President!" Or is it that Presidents should do something after being President besides golf?
I must say I left both places feeling good about the United States! You gotta love this country!