Saturday, March 6, 2010

Vicksburg and the Mississippi Delta








We picked up Interstate 20 cruised across Mississippi to the mighty river at Vicksburg. We arrived in the glitz and construction of the Casino district which perched between the river and old Vicksburg . We camped at the Ameristar Casino RV Camp and settled in for the weekend. Beautiful warm and sunny which was great weather for exploring!

The Casinos do not call out to Jon and I. We check out the glitz but do not gamble. I guess I have always worked hard for my money and been without some that I just can't bring myself to throw it away in such a manner. There were others having a great time doing so! We did partake of the breakfast buffet.

We found ourselves doing a drive by of the battlefield and spent some time in the cemetery. Different from Andersonville these were for Confederate Soldiers and built on hills. The impact of the rows of tombstones still evokes sadness.
I was ready to get on with some artsy something...I am a firm believer that you can find art everywhere! Vicksburg did not let me down! They have a Children's Art Park which features student art work mounted in concrete mural walls. The back of the Flood Wall between the riverfront and the park has painted historical times and places murals sponsored by city organizations. I loved both, so instead of rambling, I will leave you with art.....